Building Custodian (part time, weekends, current hours 7am-noon, hours may change with season)
Under the direction and supervision of the Superintendent of Parks & Maintenance, the Building Custodian is responsible for overall facility cleanliness, set up and take down of facility spaces for programs and events, performs general basic maintenance functions and other assigned duties to the best of his/her ability. This is an at-will position.
High school degree or equivalent. Candidate must be dependable, highly organized and detail oriented. Must be in good physical condition, with sufficient strength to perform regular heavy lifting of 40-50 pounds on a daily basis. Must be able to work independently and as part of a team. Must have a valid Illinois Driver’s License.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Essential Functions
- Gain knowledge and understanding of Park District policies and procedures and see that they are adhered to at all times.
- Mop, sweep and scrub floors, stairways and other surfaces as assigned.
- Respond to and resolve custodial or repair situations that require immediate attention.
- Set up rooms for routine or special uses of the facilities which will include setting up 8 ft. banquet tables, chairs and podiums, etc.
- Wash all interior glass including partitions, framed pictures, doors, windows, etc.
- Wash and/or clean exterior windows and door glass as required.
- Clean and maintain bathrooms and locker rooms within District facilities in a sanitary condition, replenishing supplies as needed.
- Take initiative to check building, grounds, parking lot, paths and play surfaces on a daily basis and perform routine tasks as necessary to maintain a clean and safe indoor and outdoor environment.
- Collect, bag and/or dispose of waste paper and other refuse/debris in containers for removal by garbage cart.
- Clean and dust furniture, fixtures, walls, doors, trim and related furnishings.
- Wash and/or clean light fixtures and replace incandescent and fluorescent lights as needed.
- Maintain drinking fountains in the facility.
- Accept deliveries and loads/unloads vehicles and trucks.
- Check and replace bulbs in the emergency lighting and exit lighting on a monthly basis.
- Check fire alarm, smoke detectors and fire extinguishers on a monthly basis.
- Follow cleaning schedule to complete work on a timely basis.
- Maintain cleaning equipment and inventory of cleaning supplies.
- Cleaning, renovating, renewing floor surface finishes.
- Report items that require repair to the Superintendent of Parks & Maintenance.
- Wear DPD supplied uniforms to work at all times.
- Carry DPD supplied two-way radio for constant communication with desk staff.
- Observe and follow all Park District safety policies and regulations. The safety of the staff and patrons is a continuing responsibility of all staff members. Become CPR and First Aid certified which will be provided by the DPD.
B. Marginal Functions
- Perform other facility and/or grounds related duties as required or assigned.
- Attend various district-wide and departmental staff trainings as they pertain to policies and procedures, safety or other subjects as appropriate.
- The District encourages its employees to “take pride and ownership” of the District. As such, it shall be the responsibility of all Park District employees to pick up litter throughout the buildings, grounds, and facilities of the District.
- Capable of communicating and working with all levels of park district staff.
- Able to maintain self-control and composure in difficult situations.
- Ability to recognize priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, to solve problems and to produce accurate work on a timely basis.
- Ability to deal with multiple situations at the same time that will increase stress levels.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism and/or supervision.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to new situations.
- Must be punctual and dependable.
JOB ANALYSIS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Bending, and/or kneeling for long periods of time when cleaning, and reaching items off floor and shelves.
- Lift and move boxes of material up to 50 pounds.
- Climb ladders and able to reach to perform window washing, light changes, etc.
- Push equipment up to 100 pounds for sustained periods of time, as when buffing floors.
- Repeated hand and arm movements for extended periods of time.
- Lifting and twisting with loads for long periods of time, as when shoveling snow.
- Must have knowledge of all types of cleaning materials.
- Ability to maintain systematic, complete, and accurate records.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all general and departmental-specific safety rules.
- Immediately reports all accidents and unsafe conditions to the supervisor.
- Cooperates and assists in the investigation of accidents.
- Attends all required safety program and in-service education meetings.
- Treats public complaints and concerns with the utmost attention. Is courteous in all cases.
- Pays strict attention to housekeeping of the work area(s) and general facilities.
Address: 7301 Fairview Ave
City, State, Zip: Darien, IL 60561
Contact: Blake Ertmanis
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org